Friday, April 30, 2010

The final blog again to put my blogs to rest

Wow the final blog. It seems like just yesterday I typed my very first one, but alas an entire semester has passed. Goes to show how fast time flies when you're in another world.
That is what this class has done for me. It has taken me from my everyday boring scheduled every minute life and put me into a world where anything is possible and everything is probable. Its as though I have peered to far into the rabbit whole and am now wandering around in a world of non-sense. It is my own world that I have developed from the visuals I created in my head while reading the wonderful literature that was specifically selected for us this semester. Some parts of my world are scary, like the one where I see an innocent child being tortured to near death, and a city being burned to death while a woman is turned to a pillar of salt. Parts of my world are filled with abandonment and negativity like the actions of Fydor Karamazov, while others are spiritual and uplifting like the thoughts of dear Alyosha. There are tricksters like the Cheshire cat, earth mothers, death mothers, smother mothers and temptresses. Some of the men are wise like Father Zossima, while others are devilish like creepy Arnold Friend. Around every corner waits adventure, emotions, determination, conflict, and an experience of a life time.
As my thoughts intertwine they select words of powerful meaning and repeat them creating a sort of poem that is found only within my minds inner workings. Each step I take adds meter to my poem; tetrameter, pentameter, hexameter, heptemeter, octameter. Some parts become stressed da dum da dum da dum. But no matter the beat, my heart sticks with my feet as I take on the fight, till day turns to night.

This class has brought me more than this though, more than this world non-sense you know. It has brought me to a new chapter in life that I had not seen before. One that requires understanding of tragedy but the strength to find beauty, one that presents sarvam dukkham sarvam anityam as more than just gobble gook. It has brought me many realizations of what this world has to offer and shown me the most opportune way to take advantage of it. I have come to realize that nothing is original because everything comes from something else and has outside influences along the way. I have come to understand the importance of not just making the characters you write about little clones of yourself, but instead develop a new character that had different opinions and reactions. I know now that it is important to draw a very fine line between the quotes that you write and the quotes that you quote. Also that we must tell the truth but at a slant.

I wish I could say that this all came to me in a dream and was a realization that only I had but I cannot. This was not simply my realizations, these were a collaboration of the thoughts of literature, my thoughts, the thoughts of our professor, but mostly the creative thoughts of my immaculate peers. I would like to thank all of you for your wonderful input this semester, it has helped me develop myself far more than I have ever been able alone. I can only hope that I have done the same for others in the class as well. I apologize for reserving my thoughts till right here at the end but it took me some time to sort what was really important to me that you take from me during this experience.

and now I will leave you with a poem dedicated to my LIT11o class of 2010:

Its been a big load,
This path we have traveled,
Down a long twisted road
Which we have unraveled.
My hope now for you
Is to take on the challenge
Of following through
And finding your balance,
Of listening and talking
To improve yourself
For confident walking
As a means of health
Go now my peers be ready, take flight
May your souls and your spirits forever shine bright

No comments:

Post a Comment